"On Friday 13th of March, Vanuatu was hit by cyclone Pam, one of the strongest cyclones ever recorded in the southern hemisphere. Much of the rural population has lost their homes. The Eden on the River property has been severely damaged to the point where the rebuilding efforts and the loss of business threaten the survival of our project; a project that is deeply rooted within the surrounding community and therefore is not only vital to us but also our local employees and their families.
Cyclone Pam severely damaged our office and the cafe, most of the animal enclosures in the farm park and the piggery. Fences throughout the entire property have been flattened by falling trees. The suspension bridges for our bridge tour are luckily mostly intact. However, one of them sustained major damage. About 20% of our garden and forest, the heart of all our tours, has been destroyed permanently; the remaining 80% will hopefully grow back in the next 6-12 months. Staff housing and the workshop have also suffered major damage. Since the cyclone we have had ten additional workers on average every day to assist with clearing debris.
We are committed to rebuilding Eden on the River because it is our life and the livelihood for our 24 permanent staff, the many project workers and their families. One of our commitments during our 40 years in Vanuatu has been improving the livelihood of the community we belong to."
The Eden on the River project needs help ..... to rebuild, continue and to expand it's community projects.
We invite all who appreciate the value of eco-tourism to local communities to become familiar with Eden on The River's latest and greatest challenge by reviewing the specific campaign detailed here
Attached are some before and after photos.
The challenge - rebuild a community 'bedrock' / 'boiler room' asap.